Sunday, May 31, 2015

How Design Happens

"Welcome to Kahn Lucas," said Mr. Kahn as we walked in. "Today you will be seeing how we design." "I am very excited to see everything!" I replied.  "Lets start the tour," said Mr. Kahn. We walked around the office and Mr. Kahn introduced me to designers, marketers and seamstresses. I got to see what everyone did and how the fashion lines came together.

My first stop was a big rack of fabrics that were going to be used in production. Fabric sourcing is where it all begins. Then I talked with the designers to learn how they used the fabrics and patterns to make different lines. It was so unexpected!

First, the designer may go out to a store to see pieces of clothing, styles and patterns that are current. and that they really like. These don't have to be kids clothes - they will take anything back that looks interesting or exciting. The pieces go back to Kahn Lucas, and the designer may be inspired by one part of the outfit (or a pattern) and they make a new design out of it. Old popular looks may be re-used. I learned that there was a dress that they made last year that was re-made this year because it was so popular.
A Couture Look From Kahn Lucas

After visiting with the designers, we moved on to see how an outfit is put together. There is a giant printer that is used to print pattern instructions, and where to put each part of the dress or outfit. Its like when you are building with Legos or doing a jigsaw puzzle. After that the design goes to the sewing room for a sample to be made. The sewing room was so cool. There were all different fabrics and designs. The outfits took teamwork and multiple cutters, sewers and finishers to make.

I actually have some pictures of outfits, but I can't share them because they are not sold yet. I got a sneak peak at what is coming - and it is SO COOL!

I learned so much about design that day. It was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment